Incumbent Ann Mallek, a member of the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors since 2008, faced challenger Steve Harvey in a live debate on The I Love CVille Show in what was undoubtedly the most watched debate in Albemarle County, Virginia history.
Here are my notes, which I used to moderate the debate:
1. ANN FIRST: Please offer your “State Of The Union On Albemarle County, Virginia.”
2. STEVE FIRST: There has only been one African American or one person of color ever elected to The Albemarle County Board of Supervisors in the history of Albemarle County. If you are elected, what would you do to change this?
3. ANN FIRST: According to a recent report in The Crozet Gazette, about 20% of White Hall residents rent homes and more than 33% of residents in Albemarle County rent homes. Rental prices in Albemarle County range from $1,300 – $4,500 per month, the report said. There is undoubtedly an affordable housing crisis in Charlottesville, Virginia, which is clearly creating a similar crisis in Albemarle County.
The Crozet Gazette also reported: “Area Vibes,” an online service that extrapolates data from the census and other available sources, gave Crozet an “F” for affordability, based on the then-average apartment rental price of $1,234, which was 30% more than the national average of $949. Home prices (which affect the rental market in a variety of ways) fared even worse: a whopping 80% more than the national average. See the report HERE.
If you are elected to another term, what will you do to alleviate this affordable housing crisis in Albemarle County?
4. STEVE FIRST: Schools in Albemarle County are beyond over crowded. We need more elementary, middle and high schools built throughout Albemarle County. However, Albemarle County has limited financial resources.
If you are elected, how will you solve our over-crowded schools problem, and will you push for a tax increase to solve this problem?
5. ANN FIRST: Traffic issues in Western Albemarle County. If there is an accident on the bypass or on Intrastate 64, traffic is at a stand-still. Also, in the morning, during the school commute, the traffic moves at a snails pace.
What will you do to alleviate these problems, if you are elected to another term?
6. STEVE FIRST: Albemarle County recently approved new homestay requirements for property owners who are looking to subsidized their residential overheard through companies like AirBnB.
On all residential district properties and rural area-zoned properties smaller than 5 acres, owners can only rent out two rooms, while on rural area-zoned properties larger than 5 acres, owners can rent out five rooms. Only on rural area-zoned properties larger than 5 acres can homeowners rent out their entire house without being present, but only for a maximum of seven days in a month and a total of 45 days a year. The owner must reside on that property at least 180 days within a calendar year.
What is your perspective on these new requirements from Albemarle County, and if you are elected, will you do anything to change them?
7. ANN FIRST: Frank Stoner’s Barnes Lumberyard Project (i.e. Crozet Plaza), a joint venture with Albemarle County. AC tax dollars are being used to make this project a reality.
How much oversight should Albemarle County and the Board of Supervisors have with this project? What is your expectation for Frank Stoner’s project and Crozet Plaza?
8. STEVE FIRST: How do we improve Route 29 (i.e. traffic, development, vision)?
9. ANN FIRST: What is the future of Fashion Square Mall? What is the best use for this property with brick & mortar retail struggling in 2019?
10. STEVE FIRST: The revenue share agreement with Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville is heavily weighted in favor of the City of Charlottesville.
Albemarle County paid the City of Charlottesville close to $16,000,000 in 2019 to keep the City of CVille from annexing land in Albemarle County.
If you are elected, will you do anything to influence this? What is your perspective on the Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville dynamic and relationship?
11. ANN FIRST: What is the role of the University of Virginia and President Jim Ryan in Albemarle County, Virginia moving forward?
12. STEVE FIRST: What is the impact of the Dillon Rule on governance and autonomy with Albemarle County and the Board of Supervisors? If you are elected, how will you utilize your influence to change or maintain the Dillon Rule?
13. ANN FIRST: What is the future for commuter trains and JAUNT buses/transportation in Albemarle County, Virginia? How do we improve public transportation across Albemarle County and into Charlottesville?
14. STEVE FIRST: No Growth vs. Strategic Growth vs. Very Little of Albemarle County Being Developed … If you are elected, how will you utilize your influence to shape growth in Albemarle County, Virginia?
15. ANN FIRST: The residents of Glenmore in Eastern Albemarle County were vehemently opposed to Frank Ballif and his company, Southern Development Homes, developing a new neighborhood near Glenmore. However, we need more housing in and around Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville.
Should Albemarle County have prioritized Ballif’s development to help alleviate our housing crunch?
16. STEVE FIRST: What separates you from your opponent, and why should voters check your name on the ballot box on November 5, 2019?
17. ANN FIRST: What should we do with the historic statues and monuments in Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville?
18. STEVE FIRST: What role does climate change play in local government? Does either candidate support the New Green Deal? (Thank you, Teri Kent, for this topic/question.)
19. ANN FIRST: As a resident of the Crozet growth area, how will you represent me and growth area residents? (Thank you, Jennie Lafferty More, for submitting this question.)
The I Love CVille Show airs on The I Love CVille Network Mondays – Fridays from 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm.
Listen to the full show as an iTunes Podcast here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/incumbent-ann-mallek-faced-challenger-steve-harvey/id1473278344?i=1000454790636
The I Love CVille Show is powered by four generation strong Intrastate Inc., trusted limo company Camryn Limousine, the talented Dr. Scott Wagner of Scott Wagner Chiropractic and Sports Medicine, custom home builder John Kerber of Dominion Custom Homes, entrepreneur Patricia Boden’s Animal Connection – All Natural Store for Healthy Pets and Anderson’s Seafood And Catering, Charlottesville’s premiere caterer and fresh seafood market.
If you liked this article, you might also enjoy Erika Renee, Brent Jacques And Clay Hysell Joined Pattie Boden & Jerry Miller On “What’s Barking Local” Powered By Animal Connection! and Entrepreneurs Roger Voisinet, Kate Bennis & Richard Averitt Joined Jerry Miller on The I Love CVille Show To Spotlight TEDx Charlottesville!
CEO Jerry Miller
Latest posts by CEO Jerry Miller (see all)
- Janasha “Jay” Bradford Of Mahogany and Friends Joined Kyle Miller On “The Kyle Miller Show” - February 22, 2024
- Alex Urpí & Nickolas Urpí Were Live On “Today y Mañana!” - February 22, 2024
- UVA Professor/Sociologist Brad Wilcox Interview; Wilcox Is The Author Of New Book “Get Married” - February 21, 2024