1. Evan Almighty Was Filmed Here
Much of the Steve Carell movie was filmed in a housing development in Crozet, VA.
2. Dr. Pepper Was A Wahoo
Yes, That Dr. Pepper! Charles T. Pepper was the namesake of Dr. Pepper soda. He got his medical degree at UVA.
3. UVA Helped Georgia O’Keeffe Paint Again
Georgia O’Keeffe was convinced she would never become a real artist until her painting class at UVA. She even came back to teach an art class.
4. The Dr. Seuss Story Is A Myth
The story goes that after the man we know as Dr. Seuss was denied admission to UVA, he bought the Louis Mountain House so he could look down on UVA. There has been no evidence to support this.
5. “The Hook” Is All About Grades
The nickname “The Hook” refers to UVA students getting what is known as the “Gentlemen’s C” on their report cards.
6. They Aren’t Just Cavaliers
UVA students are also called “Wahoos”. A wahoo is a fish that is said to drink twice its own weight. Interpret that how you like.
7. Rob Lowe Was Born In CVille
In 1964, Rob Lowe was born to a lawyer and a schoolteacher in Charlottesville, VA.
8. Thomas Jefferson Invented The Swivel Chair
He even sat in it while writing parts of The Declaration Of Independence. No one has mentioned him spinning in it when he had writer’s block, but one can hope!
9. St. Thomas Aquinas Is Made Of Salvaged Bumpers
St. Thomas Aquinas Church on Alderman’s statue is actually made out of old car bumpers.
10. The City Is Named For Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
She was the wife of King George III and namesake for at least eight other places.
11. Tina Fey Graduated From UVA
Tina Fey studied acting and play writing at UVA. She graduated with a BA in drama.
Do you have any suggestions for this list? Leave us your best ideas in the comment section below, and we may update this list with your suggestions.
At Scoutology, we scout your city so you don’t have to. You’re going to love the Scoutology Network.
Maggie Comeau, Content Manager
Latest posts by Maggie Comeau, Content Manager (see all)
- 15 CVille Restaurants With A Fireplace - May 20, 2016
- 12 Best Pizzas In CVille! - February 23, 2016
- 10 Things You Need To Know About The “Duel Pop-Up” Restaurant On 8/31 - August 12, 2015