1. Bob Dylan Covered Virginia’s State Song, Sorta
Photo: Bob Dylan FB
He sang the song “Shenandoah” which is the unofficial state song. It was rejected as an official state song since it cannot be confirmed it’s actually about Virginia.
2. The Pentagon Is The World’s Largest Low-Rise Building
1400 Defense Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia 22202
It can fit five US Capitols.
3. Virginia Is Home To “The World’s Oldest Peanut”
Photo: Isle of Wight County Museum and Historic Sites FB
The first peanuts in the US were planted in Waverly.
4. The Capitol Of Richmond Isn’t The Largest City
Photo: Visit Richmond FB
Virginia Beach has twice the population.
5. Their State Flower Isn’t
Photo: VA Is For Lovers FB
A flower, that is. Dogwoods are a tree blossom and not considered a flower.
6. It’s So Cool Arlington Voted To Join
Photo: Arlington FB
There was a referendum to move Arlington from DC to VA.
7. VA Tech’s First Mascot Was A Live Turkey
He was trained to do “cartwheels.”
8. Virginia Is The Internet Capital Of The World
You can even get a license plate proclaiming it.
9. Virginia Has Naturally Occurring “Bacon”
10. There’s A Restaurant Dedicated To Johnny Appleseed
11. There’s Rat Basketball!
2500 W Broad St, Richmond, Virginia
Facebook | Website | Twitter | Photo: Science Museum Of Virginia FB
The Science Museum Of Virginia teaches you about operant and classical conditioning in the most adorable way possible.
12. You Can Visit A (Fake) Crack House
700 Army Navy Dr, Arlington, Virginia 22202
Facebook | Website | Twitter | Photo: DEA Educational Foundation and Museum FB
DEA Educational Foundation and Museum features interactive exhibits on drug abuse.
13. You Can Mine For Your Own Gems
13400 Butlers Rd, Amelia Court House, Virginia
Facebook | Website | Photo: The Morefield Gem Mine FB
The Morefield Gem Mine has mica, feldspar, beryl and phenakite. You can take it home for the price of admission.
14. Dare Devil Goats Climb 20 FT.
15. Jamestown Is Sinking
Photo: Jamestown FB
…very slowly. Jamestown is only 3ft above sea level in some places. The ocean is estimated to rise to that level by 2100.
16. The Person On The Virginia Flag Is A Woman
She is Virtus, the Roman deity of bravery. At Scoutology, we scout your city so you don’t have to. You’re going to love the Scoutology Network.
17. Virginia Isn’t Only The Birthplace Of Presidents…
It is also the birthplace of six first ladies; Martha Washington, Martha Jefferson, Rachel Jackson, Letitia Tyler, Ellen Arthur and Edith Wilson.
18. It’s Home To The Mid-Atlantic Hermit Crab Challenge
19. They Share A Town With Tennessee
Photo: Bristol FB
Bristol is partly in Virginia and partly in Tennessee.
She is Virtus, the Roman deity of bravery.
At Scoutology, we scout your city so you don’t have to. You’re going to love the Scoutology Network.