1. It All Started With Loitering
People were concerned about groups of young men hanging out by the Levy Opera House. Eventually the McKee property was purchased for a park.
2. Jackson’s Horse Is Standing Wrong
According to the “Hoof Code” Jackson died of natural causes, but he actually died of battle wounds.
3. It’s Pretty Good For An Equestrian Statue
Our statue of old Stonewall is ranked in the top three equestrian statues in the world!
4. The Figures On The Base Of The Statue Are Faith And Valor
The figures are carved out of pink granite.
5. Jackson Park Used To Lead To The Prison
It used to be a walking path leading from The Court House directly to the county maximum security prison.
6. Mayor McCue’s Mistress Lived There
Before the land was a park, McKee was a row of houses.
7. Jackson’s Horse Has A Name
After Big Sorrel was too startled by gunfire, Jackson chose his wife’s smaller horse and dubbed him Little Sorrel.
8. Some People Thought The Statue’s Horse Looked Too Small
Jackson hated to ride horses. Whenever he had to ride, he preferred small horses which is part of the reason he preferred Little Sorrel.
At Scoutology, we scout your city so you don’t have to. You’re going to love the Scoutology Network.
Maggie Comeau, Content Manager
Latest posts by Maggie Comeau, Content Manager (see all)
- 15 CVille Restaurants With A Fireplace - May 20, 2016
- 12 Best Pizzas In CVille! - February 23, 2016
- 10 Things You Need To Know About The “Duel Pop-Up” Restaurant On 8/31 - August 12, 2015